Local people sometimes refer to Waisisi as meaning ‘way is easy’, as this was the place where missionaries were first accepted before expanding into west and north Tanna (see Lenakel). The missionaries at Waisisi were William and Elizabeth Gray, who came from South Australia to Tanna in 1882. There are limited remains from Gray’s Church, and other features, such as a Mission Stair that led from the mission station to the sea.
Because it is close to Tanna’s active volcano, Mt. Yasur, Waisisi is regularly coated in volcanic ash, so much of the archaeology in this area would be deeply buried. However, there is much local knowledge of kastom sites, including features relating to the sagas of the Shipimanwawa conflict that occurred on Tanna in the 1800s. Local people also curate the church bell and Triton shell trumpets that were used to call people to worship in the Gray’s mission.