Browse Digital Heritage

J. Gordon House Ceramics
Community: 
Public
Category: 
Artefact
Summary: 
Please click on 'Artefact Photographs' under 'COLLECTION' in the sidebar to the right.
WaisisiAreaFeatures.png
Community: 
Public
Category: 
Location, Tanna
Summary: 
The missionaries at Waisisi were William and Elizabeth Gray, who came from South Australia to Tanna in 1882. There are also many kastom sites in the area.
PortResolutionFeatures.png
Community: 
Public
Category: 
Location, Tanna
Summary: 
Port Resolution was an important place of early European contacts on Tanna.
LenakelAreaFeatures.png
Community: 
Public
Category: 
Location, Tanna
Summary: 
Lenakel was one of the later areas on Tanna to allow missionary settlement. It was home to a significant church building.
DillonsBayEnclosures2014.png
Community: 
Public
Category: 
Erromango, Location
Summary: 
Dillon’s Bay was the site of the first missionary contacts on Erromango. There were also longer-term mission settlements that were explored with excavations.
Around Potnuma.png
Community: 
Public
Category: 
Erromango, Location
Summary: 
Potnuma was the primary mission settlement of James Gordon, who moved from Dillon’s Bay in 1868. He built a church with stone and mortar foundations. Some of the walls of the church were still standing in 2013 when we did fieldwork in the area.
MalapPetroglyphs.png
Community: 
Public
Category: 
Erromango, Feature, Kastom Site, Potnuma
CooksBayMap.png
Community: 
Public
Category: 
Erromango, Location
Summary: 
Cook’s Bay was not inhabited as a long-term mission, but was instead used periodically by the missionaries.
JamesGordonHouse_r.jpg
Community: 
Public
Category: 
Erromango, Feature, Mission House, Mission Site, Potnuma
Blood Stone
Community: 
Public
Category: 
Erromango, Feature, Mission Site, Potnuma
JamesGordonTomb_r.jpg
Community: 
Public
Category: 
Erromango, Feature, Mission Site, Potnuma
JamesGordonChurch_r.jpg
Community: 
Public
Category: 
Church, Erromango, Feature, Mission Site, Potnuma

Search

Keywords